calories in cooked rice pin

T oday'south diet Q&A comes from reader Ruddy: How many calories in cooked rice?

I recently got this question in my inbox, which is a question I ask google all the time. How many calories are there in a cup of cooked rice? So, I figured I'd get down to the answer in one case and for all!

The quick calories approximate

  • ane/2 cup of cooked rice = 106 calories
  • i loving cup of cooked rice = 212 calories

I arrived with these numbers based on cooking my rice and measuring it first raw:

  • one cup dry, raw white jasmine rice (200g) = 640 calories (according to the label)
  • Subsequently cooked according to package directions with 1 i/ii cup h2o, it made iii cups cooked that weighed 515 grams = and must also full 640 calories

Therefore, when made with i.5 times rice to water, and portioned into 1/3 and 1/2 cups, which is the mode I would normally eat it, the calories for the cooked rice would:

  • 1/3 cup cooked = 71 calories and virtually 15 grams of carbs, with zero fat.
  • ane/2 loving cup cooked = 106 calories and about 22 grams of carbs, with null fat.

Simply read on for the exceptions!

how many calories in rice cooked and dry

The problem with answering this calorie question is when you are using a tracking tool like MyFitnessPal, you get a variety of answers. So, which MyFitnessPal listing is accurate? I mean, look at my screenshot below to encounter how confusing it could be.

calories in cooked rice from myfitnesspal

And then, in lodge to observe out for myself, I weighed my rice before and after cooking to get the nearly accurate calorie count for cooked rice.

The discrepenies in calorie counts for rice are usually because:

  • A diverse amounts of water is used to cook the rice
  • A various amount of grains are used
  • Cooking times vary, causing a different yield in volume.
  • and measurements are sometimes in grams, sometimes by volume.

I saw this outset paw when I changed the corporeality of h2o I used to cook rice from 1.5 times water to rice ratio, to 2 times water to rice ratio.

When I used 2 X water to rice ratio, the same 1 loving cup of raw, dry white Jasmine rice made three one/2 cups cooked rice, rather than iii. And then, y'all can potentially eat a bigger bowl of rice, for the same amount of calories past increasing the water you cook it in. I do this with oatmeal all the fourth dimension! (come across my loftier volume oatmeal here)

Is Brown Rice Healthier?

If you are looking at calories and macros alone, there isn't a huge deviation between brown rice and white. There is a 2 grams more cobweb in 1/4 loving cup of raw dark-brown rice, also as some Iron and potassium. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Many people ask why my meal plans all have white rice on them. (get my repast plans hither). The simple reason is, I recall it tastes better, and the food difference isn't big plenty for me to change my preferences. Too, my family unit prefers white rice, and I don't like preparing different meals for the family unit.

Lastly, I actually similar the thought that white rice might blot more quickly than chocolate-brown. If I'chiliad going on a run or a workout, quick acting carbs give me more energy, and rice is so gentle on the stomach, it'south a great pre-workout food.

calories and macros white rice vs brown
Calories and macros for brown rice vs white rice

Tin can you lot eat rice and still lose weight?

YES! I ate rice the entire time I was losing weight, and got lean enough to become on stage in a bikini! You lot'll discover nigh all physique athletes non only keep carbs like rice in their diet while they are losing, just it's essential for them to perform in the gym and build muscle.

Don't hesitate to continue rice in your nutrition during weight loss. Knowing the calories and macros and keeping your portions in check is the near important thing.

Practice yous have any questions about calorie counting? HMU! I'd dear to respond them!

Pin this post for subsequently!

calories in cooked rice pin